24 December 2007


Vol I / Issue XII ~ 24th of December, 2007


***

2007 Holiday Issue


***

CONTENTS:

  1. Final Letter from the Editor
  2. “Twas The Night Before Christmas…” Steampunk Style!
  3. New Babbage Has Trains!
  4. Christmas in New Babbage
  5. Events & Announcements
  6. Classified Advertisements
  7. New Babbage and Steampunk FAQ
  8. Contact and other Essential Information for the Reader
_____________________________________________________________________

FINAL LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

Not only is this a special holiday issue of the Cog, but alas, it unfortunately will be the last publication as well. I have to retire my position of Editor in Chief, for other things have popped up that I must give my full and out most attention. Going back and starting off as Mrs.Junie Ginsburg's assistant back in February of 2007, and taking over for her as Editor In Chief, back in May of 2007, has been quite the challenge and learning experience for me. The one thing I have undoubtedly noticed with my said role, is that New Babbage's community spirit is very strong. It was my hope, that someone else would have taken up the role as Editor in Chief from me, as I did for Mrs.Ginsburg, but alas, no one has stepped up to the plate, so I feel I have no choice but to end the publication. On a lighter note, residents and visitor's to our fine city-state, can still keep abreast with New Babbage community events and goings on, at the New Babbage Forum Boards, which is alive with communications. On a parting note, I would like to thank all the readers of The New Babbage Cog, and the members of the SL in world Babbage Cog group. If it wasn't for the loyal readership, I would not have got this far. It has been an interesting challenging with my role as Editor in Chief for the Cog, I have learned with regards to collecting and publishing events in our community's first published newspaper.

In your service,










Former Editor in Chief: Miss Eggberta Echegaray
______________________________________________________________________________________


“TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS..." STEAMPUNK STYLE!




Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the factory,

Not a creature was sleeping, not even a peep of any cacophony;

The stockings were hung by the Boiler with care,

In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;

The gears were nestled all snug in their box,

Their visions of usefulness, dancing in clocks;

And mamma in her boots, and I in my belt,

Had just settled down for a long winter's smelt,


When out in the yard there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the slag to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The moon on the breast of the soot-stained snow,

Gave the luster of industry to objects below,

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a bright-copper sleigh, and eight mechanical reindeer,

With a little old tinker, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.




More rapid than airships his coursers they came,

And he hole punched, and carded, and programed them by name;

"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!

On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!

To the top of the smokestack! to the top of the wall!

Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

As hot embers that before the wild furnace fly,

When they meet with a crucible, mount to the sky,

So up to the sky-light the coursers they flew,

With the sleigh full of inventions, and St. Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each metal hoof.

As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,

Down the smoke stack St. Nicholas came with a bound.



He was dressed all in frock, from his head to his foot,

And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;

A bundle of tools he had flung on his back,

And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.

His eyes -- how they twinkled! his whiskers how grizzled!

His cheeks were like boilers, his nose like a Whistle!

His droll little mouth was drawn up like a rivet,

And the beard of his chin was starting to fidget;

The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,

And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;

He had a broad face and a little round belly,

That shook, when he laughed like a cog at the ready.

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old spirit,

I emptied my glass of absinthe, as it has courage in it;

A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,

Soon he gave me the know, I had nothing to dread;



He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,

And milled thousands of cogs;

used all of my pig-iron, the jerk!

And with a bag full of cogs, he stole my last hose,

And giving a shout, up the chimney he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, blew the brass belching whistle,

And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.

But I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight,

"Industry marches on, and to all a good-night."


Parody Poem by Eggberta Echegaray


***


NEW BABBAGE HAS TRAINS!


Just in time for Christmas, our train lines are 90 percent open!



Last night I did a test run on the line, and I can recommend the Babbage square to canals route, as it is the most complete. Currently the route from the port to the square is not quite up to par as the other line, as it is a little buggy around the turn, but I am told, this will be fixed soon.




As you cross over the sim borders, you may see some jerkiness, and possible ghosting of the train, but this appears to be a linden lab issue and Mayor Sprocket insists, this he and the train crew will be working on this to minimize the glitches.


Eggberta Echegaray


***


CHRISTMAS TIME IN NEW BABBAGE


I have to admit, walking around New Babbage at Christmas time is most magical and fun.


Align Center

What's Christmas without candies! Ms.Ordinal Malaprops Humbugs are quite popular amongst our residents, as they give off quite a bang!


Some of New Babbage's residents have really "decked the halls" this year, as the exterior decorations are quite lovely. Just goes to show that our community is in fine holiday cheer with their Christmas creations.



A walk around New Babbage this time of year, is not have been complete until going past Kaylee Frye's fun Snowman Exhibition.






And, finally, it wouldn't be Christmas time in New Babbage without any holiday cheers from our community of street urchins.


On behalf of The New Babbage Cog, Merry Christmas Everyone!



***



CONTACT, CIRCULATION, AND OTHER ESSENTIAL

INFORMATION FOR THE READER



***


Back Issues:

Since this is the last issue of The New Babbage Cog, all back issues will still be available free of charge and can be found in the Willow Tea Room on the first floor.


Errata:

[There are no errors known to be in need of correction at this time. The New Babbage Cog is obliged to anyone who sends notification of a mistake, so that rectifications might be swiftly published.]


Copyright Disclaimer:

This issue of The New Babbage Cog, and it's intellectual property, are owned by the contributors to the newspaper and is also publicly owned by the City-State of New Babbage, which at the time of it's printing, was under the care of Mayor Shaunathan Sprocket.


Copyright 2007 of the Common Era

The New Babbage Cog

~~ Relata Refero ~~